On September 20, 2011, ARTsmart Board members met with the Santa Fe Public School Board to announce ARTsmart’s donation of $88,570 to the Santa Fe Public Schools, art teachers, art projects, a visiting artist program, and student scholarships.
“ARTsmart is committed to funding access to quality arts education for Santa Fe’s children and youth,” President Martine Bertin-Peterson stated. “We believe the arts are an essential component of education, and that all children benefit from opportunities to create and communicate through a variety of artistic disciplines, especially the visual arts. Art programs play a pivotal role in improving high school graduation rates and preparing young people to participate in a workforce that is increasingly dependent upon creative solutions.”
ARTfeast Santa Fe, ARTsmart’s annual fundraiser, generated more than $138,000 in donations during the February 2011 weekend of events, which includes the following distributions:
- $20,000 to SFPS Art Department for art supplies.
- $30,000 to the newly established SFPS Visiting Artist Program.
- $7,290 to SFPS elementary school art teachers for supplies and projects.
- $11,000 to ARTsmart K-12 art projects, including the “I Made It!” plate project, greeting cards, metal sculptures, and an honorary artist project. Projects also include the New Mexico School for the Arts and FACT.
- $10,000 to the ARTsmart Scholarship; $4,000 distributed to a high-school senior pursuing art in higher education and $2,000 each to the previous three scholarship recipients.
- $10,280 returned to high school students and schools with whom ARTsmart shares the proceeds from the 2011 auction sales of their artwork.
- $5,000 for art programs provided by Fine Art for Children and Teens.
- $44,525 to ARTsmart’s two endowments: ARTsmart General Fund and the ARTsmart Scholarship Fund at the Santa Fe Community Foundation.
In the past 14 years, ARTsmart has donated more than $972,000 to ensure the arts are kept alive for Santa Fe schoolchildren. The 15th Annual ARTfeast Santa Fe fundraiser takes place February 24-26, 2012.