2019-20 ARTsmart Art Changes Lives Scholarship
Scholarship Applications will be accepted in Spring 2019. The scholarship competition is available for one outstanding New Mexico high school senior who will be starting college in Fall of 2019 to study visual art or arts education. The student must have at least 2 completed years of high school (or home school equivalent), and have at least a 3.0 grade point average.
The following materials must be received at the ARTsmart office at 1201 Parkway Drive by DUE DATE: Wednesday, May 1, 2019.
You may submit them in person or electronically (original works of art will need to be dropped off or shipped (if applicant resides a significant distance away from Santa Fe and shipping is not an option please contact us)). Office hours are 10am-4pm. To ensure someone is available to receive materials please call 505-992-2787 prior to dropping in.
Criteria for the 2019-20 ARTsmart Art Changes Lives Scholarship
- One-page narrative of the importance of art to the student’s past and future education and career in the arts. This should include why you are deserving of the scholarship.
- Portfolio of work. Portfolio may be digital or pieces of artwork; however ONE actual/original piece must be submitted (if applicant resides a significant distance away from Santa Fe and shipping is not an option please contact us). Minimum of 6 digital images of student’s artwork and maximum of 15. Images must be jpeg, pdf, or PowerPoint.
- Transcripts verifying 3.0 GPA
- Proof of acceptance (or application) for school you will attend in the fall (photocopy acceptable)
- A list outlining involvement in school and community activities
- Two letters of recommendation
The selection process involves a panel of ARTsmart Visual Arts Committee members reviewing each application. Student’s art teachers do not participate in the final decision but they will be consulted regarding attributes such as work ethic and attitude. It is the student’s responsibility to pick up their portfolio of work following the scholarship selection.
The 2019-20 scholarship winning student will receive $5,000 for the first year, and $1,500 for each of 3 subsequent years.
Note: The 3 subsequent years’ scholarship may be revised upwards or downwards depending on ARTsmart funding. The ARTsmart scholarship recipient may be announced by school personnel at the school’s graduation ceremony. The award will be given directly to the college/university in the student’s name. The student or teacher will provide ARTsmart with the contact name and address of the admissions department of the student’s chosen college/university.
Contact Sharon Peterson, ARTsmart Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org or 505.992.2787.